Nominal Group Technique
To prioritize or select from a number of items by giving all team members an equal voice.
- Have everyone on the team write down the item that he/she feels is most important.
- Create a list of the items where the team can see them.
- Ask the team members to write on a piece of paper the letters corresponding to the number of items the team produced. For example: if you ended up with five (5) items, everyone would write the letters "A" through "E" on the paper.
- Make sure that each item has a letter in front of it. Then ask the team members to vote on which is most important by putting a five (5) next to that item's letter.
- Everyone then has to complete the list by voting what's second most important, third most important, etc.
Note: When dealing with a large number of items, it may be necessary to limit the items to be considered. Multi-voting can be used to first narrow the list before using NGT.
- Add up each line of numbers across and put the items in prioritized order.
- Discuss prioritized list to reach consensus.
- The team would work on the top item first, and then move through the list.
(click on the image to take you home)