This tool provides understanding of how a process is performed. It helps a team reach consensus on what activities are involved and who is responsible.
- Name the process.
- Decide start and finish points of the current process.
- list steps involved between the start and finish, using verbs, then nouns.
- brainstorm macrosteps
- sequence the steps
- brainstorm sub-steps
- sequence and integrate into macro steps
- Assign symbols (see below) and connect with arrows indicating the process flow.
- Divide your blank chart up into columns, one for each key person or group responsible for completion of the process. Draw the chart using the symbols and lines.
- Identify control points (places where something can be counted).
- For meetings stretch the "meeting" symbol across the chart to include all persons involved in that meeting.
- If a task is shared by several people, draw the "task" symbol and indicate input from others by drawing the "assistance" symbol under their names and connecting them with a line and arrow.
(click on the image to take you home)